Patton families came back to school for this special evening of reading and literacy activities with the 2019 Monarch nominated books.
Families rotated through three activities of their choosing, which included:
- Making tissue paper animal topiary like in The Night Gardener by The Fan Brothers,
- Creating an animal tooth pic collage after learning about animal teeth in Tooth by Tooth by Sara Levine,
- Reading Stay by Kate Klise and making a homemade dog toy to donate to an animal shelter,
- Designing creepy underwear after reading Creepy Pair of Underwear,
- Using a stop motion app to animate clay figures like in Claymates
- Writing their name in Braille, the language you learn about in Six Dots by Jen Bryant
- Creating a Spanish/English dictionary of words learned in The Marigold Mess by Jacqueline Jules, and
- Read and thinking about the inspiring young man in Emmanuel's Dream and the brave young woman in The Water Princess who overcame difficult challenges to help others, after which families brainstormed ideas for their own charity.
of the Monarch nominated We are Growing by Laurie Keller.
Take a look!